What this includes:
Recycle, reuse or dispose
- make compost with your garden waste. Find out where to buy reduced price home composting containers or equipment, and what you can and cannot compost at home (Recycle Now website).
- take garden waste to the Household Waste Recycling Centre in Smugglers Way - if you will be using a car with a trailer, a van or other commercial vehicle you need advance authorisation from WRWA. Check queue levels by viewing the WRWA webcam. Garden waste will be composted centrally.
- leave garden waste out with to be collected on your collection day. We can collect up to five bags of garden waste each week along with your other dustbin waste, but this excludes soil, rubble, Japanese Knotweed and any bulky garden waste items. If you have more than five bags of garden waste or items that are too bulky for your bin or rubbish sack, book a special collection.
If you employ a gardener, any waste they produce is commercial waste. The gardener should cost the collection and disposal of this waste into the price they quote you unless it is to be composted on site.
Any garden waste we collect is incinerated, generating electricity for the National Grid. The ashes produced are recycled in cement for construction projects.
For further advice and information on composting, please use the below links:
- Garden Organic - Information on compostable materials
- Recycle Now - Information on how your composting helps the environment
- Royal Horticultural Society - Information for gardeners
Would you like to search again?