Settlement Checking Service (SCS)
The Settlement Checking Service:
- Is a partnership between the UK Border Agency and Wandsworth Register Office
- Checks applications are correctly completed for settlement on the SET (M) form if you are applying with a 27 month spousal visa
- Will tell you if any documents are missing, not acceptable - or if you have provided documents that are not required by the UK Border Agency
- Will check you have paid the correct application fee
- Check, make certified copies and return to you your documents and, your spouse, partner's and dependent’s passport or travel documents
- You and your spouse can keep the original documents supporting the application
- Your spouse will be able to travel while the applications is being processed
- Documents will be dispatched to the UK Border Agency via next-day Special Delivery
Applicants can apply:
- Once you have been in the UK for two years
- Within 28 days of the two year anniversary of you coming to the UK
- Within 28 days of your visa expiring, right up until the day it expires
The Home Office has found that applications checked by the Settlement Checking Service tend to be processed faster than a normal postal application. This is due to fewer applications being rejected due to missing documents or errors on the form.
You can only use the Settlement Checking Service if you are using the SET (M) application form for settlement in the UK as the husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner of a British citizen or someone who is settled here.
You cannot use the Settlement Checking Service or apply using a SET (M) form if you are a European Economic Area (EEA) National. GOV.UK provides further advice about applying for residence.
If you send a postal application through the Settlement Checking Service you will not be able to travel whilst the application is being processed. Do not book any trips or make travel plans until you have received your biometric residence permit. If you have trips planned or it is likely that you will need to travel, you may wish to use the Premium Service at the Public Enquiry Office.
- Adult application: £90
- Each child dependent: £25
We offer the service Monday to Friday between 9.30am and 3pm. To book an appointment:
- Telephone: 020 8871 6120
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The service operates on an appointment only basis and you must book an appointment before your visa expires.
Terms and Conditions
- Full appointment fees are payable on the day of the scheduled appointment
- All settlement fees are non-refundable
- 48 hours notice must be given in the event that the applicant wishes to cancel or reschedule an appointment