Tooting business fined following CCTV footage
Published: Wednesday 1st November 17
A business in Tooting has been handed a large fine following footage found on CCTV showing them flytipping several times in the same location.
The business, which cannot be named as they wish to discharge their liability by accepting a fine, was caught flytipping trade waste such as black sacks, large amounts of cardboard and various packaging.
Footage found on the camera led Wandsworth Council’s enforcement team to a local business around the corner from the flytip spot. After gathering sufficient evidence, the team approached the business and brought them in for a formal interview under caution.
During this interview, the Tooting business owner admitted their wrong doing and accepted a fine of £3,100, made up of seven £400 FPNs for fly tipping and one £300 FPN for failing to produce trade waste documents.
Enforcement officer, Jeanette Mahoney said, “With help from footage found on our CCTV cameras, we were able to identify this local business, present indisputable evidence and issue them with a large fine. As with all of our investigations, we had to follow the correct legal process which takes time but it was a success in the end.
We rely on intelligence provided by local people and CCTV is an excellent tool to assist our investigations. If you have information about a flytip by a business or a resident, please do get in touch in confidence.”
All businesses are responsible for ensuring that they manage their waste responsibly to comply with the law. Businesses must ensure that they have a licenced waste carrier to collect their waste.
A resident was also fined for flytipping in the same spot just over a month ago
How you can help keep Wandsworth clean
- Leave your waste and recycling bags out on the correct day www.wandsworth.gov.uk/waste
- Show your support on Twitter using the hashtag #KeepWandsworthClean
- Report flytips on the council website www.wandsworth.gov.uk/flytipping
- Pass on evidence that could help identify a flytipper in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Set up your own Environment and Attractive Neighbourhood project with support from the Wandsworth Grant Fund
- Find the next Wandle Trust clean-up day at http://www.wandletrust.org/
- Contact Jessica.Lewis@richmondandwandsworth.gov.uk to find out more about how you can help #KeepWandsworthClean