On patrol with Wandsworth’s litter squad
Published: Wednesday 25th October 17
Environmental Enforcement Officer Monika Prysak and her team patrol the borough daily catching those responsible for littering on our streets.
Environmental Enforcement Officer, Monika and her team
Monika is one of five uniformed environmental enforcement officers who have been working in the borough since the start of the year.
Starting early in the morning, team leader, Monika brings her team together to arrange what part of the borough they will focus on for that day – with a different location patrolled each day. Today, Tooting Broadway is the chosen location for the large amount of footfall from the market.
The team spend their day catching and fining those responsible for dropping litter on our streets – litter offences include dropping cigarette butts and chewing gum
They will issue an offender with an £80 on the spot fine for littering who will have 14 days to pay the fine.
When an offender is caught, a fine is printed from a portable printing device and given to the offender – a copy is kept for the teams records.
The team issue a fine for dropping litter
Monika says, “We don’t give second chances. If we witness people littering, we print a fine on the spot.
It can be really challenging at times. No one is happy when they receive a fine, some have aired their frustration at me, most people accept it and apologise.
I always treat people in a friendly respectful way and hope I will be treated the same”.
The team spend the day patrolling various streets together – two enforcement officers on the left hand side of a street and two on the right hand side to ensure nowhere is missed.
The busiest areas for the team are Putney, Clapham Junction, Tooting Broadway and Balham.
Monika says, “Police officers in Clapham Junction commented on how clean it looks around the station since we started. It is good to know our work is having an impact”.
Their day wraps up once all paperwork and fines for the day have been gathered.
How you can help keep Wandsworth clean
- Leave your waste and recycling bags out on the correct day each week. See www.wandsworth.gov.uk/waste to check your collection day.
- Show your support on Twitter using the hashtag #KeepWandsworthClean
- Report flytips on the council website www.wandsworth.gov.uk/flytipping
- Pass on evidence that could help identify a flytipper in confidence to email@example.com
- Set up your own clean streets initiative with support from the Wandsworth Grant Fund. Visit www.wandsworth.gov.uk/wgf
- Find the next Wandle Trust clean-up day at www.wandletrust.org
- Contact Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about how you can help #KeepWandsworthClean