Flytipping enforcement activity for September
Published: Wednesday 11th October 17
The council’s enforcement teams are out daily catching those responsible for making a mess on local streets.
In September, enforcement officers issued 301 fines for littering, 10 fines for littering from a vehicle and successfully tracked down and fined 16 flytippers.
The team has also taken action against businesses that haven’t properly managed their waste and have issued 71 fines for not correctly presenting waste and during prescribed time bands and 11 fines for not providing trade waste collection documents.
The council spends upwards of £4m a year on keeping the borough’s streets clean and some of this amount relates directly to the cost of picking up waste that people have dumped illegally.
Enforcement officer Audrey Ofori said, “We are out daily catching those who think it is ok to leave a mess on local streets.
“Every day we search through flytips securing evidence to catch those who are responsible for flytipping.
“If you have witnessed a flytip taking place that could help us identity or catch a flytipper in the act then please get in touch and we will treat your evidence in strict confidence.”
How you can help keep Wandsworth clean
- Leave your waste and recycling bags out on the correct day www.wandsworth.gov.uk/waste
- Show your support on Twitter using the hashtag #KeepWandsworthClean
- Report flytips on the council website www.wandsworth.gov.uk/flytipping
- Pass on evidence that could help identify a flytipper in confidence to email@example.com
- Set up your own Environment and Attractive Neighbourhood project with support from the Wandsworth Grant Fund
- Find the next Wandle Trust clean-up day at www.wandletrust.org
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about how you can help #KeepWandsworthClean