Flytipping enforcement efforts continue throughout August
Published: Tuesday 26th September 17
The council’s enforcement teams are out daily cracking down on the small minority of people who make a mess on local streets.
In August, enforcement officers issued 210 fines for littering, 37 fines for littering from a vehicle and successfully tracked down and fined 20 flytippers. The team has also taken action against businesses that don’t properly manage their waste and they have issued 92 penalty charge notices to local traders for not complying with the law.
The council spends upwards of £4m a year on keeping the borough’s streets clean and some of this amount relates directly to the cost of picking up waste that people have dumped illegally.
Enforcement officer Aaron Stocker said, “We are out every day, including weekends, searching for evidence within flytips to catch those responsible for flytipping.
“Information supplied to us by local people often helps us start our investigations. If you have any information that could help us catch a flytipper then please contact us and we will treat your evidence in strict confidence.”
How you can help keep Wandsworth clean
- Leave your waste and recycling bags out on the correct day www.wandsworth.gov.uk/waste
- Show your support on Twitter using the hashtag #KeepWandsworthClean
- Report flytips on the council website www.wandsworth.gov.uk/flytipping
- Pass on evidence that could help identify a flytipper in confidence to email@example.com
- Set up your own Environment and Attractive Neighbourhood project with support from the Wandsworth Grant Fund
- Find the next Wandle Trust clean-up day at www.wandletrust.org
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about how you can help #KeepWandsworthClean