Tooting flytipper caught on CCTV
Published: Wednesday 13th September 17
A local resident has been fined following footage found on a CCTV camera in Tooting.
CCTV Camera in Tooting
Enforcement officers reviewed CCTV cameras in Tooting after discovering a huge pile of household waste dumped illegally.
Footage found on the cameras led Wandsworth Council’s enforcement officers to a residential address just yards from the flytip. The culprit was fined £80.
The council’s spokesman for environment Jonathan Cook says, “Our enforcement officers are now using CCTV footage to help them with their investigations. By stepping up our enforcement action and imposing much stiffer penalties on those who dump rubbish, we aim to send out a really strong message to all those who think they can get away with spoiling our local environment.”
Flytipping is the illegal dumping of waste, size starts from a single bin bag of rubbish, which are typically placed beside or around street bins, trees and lamposts or leaving out your household waste outside of your collection day.
Residents should also be extremely wary of people knocking on their doors unannounced and offering to take away their rubbish.
Cowboy waste contractors often drive around residential areas looking for homes that are being refurbished or cleared. They will approach the owner and offer to take “junk” away for a cut price rate.
But instead of taking it to a proper waste disposal site and paying the appropriate fees, they simply dump it somewhere nearby.
In these cases it is not just the flytipper who is committing a crime – the householder who paid them to take their waste away is also liable under the law.
Always check to see if the contractor is a licensed waste carrier and ensure you get a receipt “waste transfer note” as proof.
How you can help keep Wandsworth clean
- Leave your waste and recycling bags out on the correct day www.wandsworth.gov.uk/waste
- Show your support on Twitter using the hashtag #KeepWandsworthClean
- Report flytips on the council website www.wandsworth.gov.uk/flytipping
- Pass on evidence that could help identify a flytipper in confidence to email@example.com
- Set up your own Environment and Attractive Neighbourhood project with support from the Wandsworth Grant Fund
- Find the next Wandle Trust clean-up day at http://www.wandletrust.org/
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about how you can help #KeepWandsworthClean