Support for Wandsworth’s Carers
Published: Wednesday 24th May 17
A series of free events including trips out, town hall networking sessions and a ‘bake off’ at Southside are being held during Carers Week from June 12-17.
Carers Week is a national campaign that shines a spotlight on the contribution made by the UK’s 6.5m people who give unpaid care to a disabled, ill or older family member or friend.
The Wandsworth Carers’ Centre provides support to the borough’s carers. Their Carers Week events include:
- Trips to Kew Gardens and Greenwich
- An open day for carers and caring professionals at their Wandsworth High Street office on June 12
- A Carers’ Bake-Off at Muffin Break, Southside on June 14
- A yoga retreat at the Wandsworth Civic Suite on June 15
Book your place by calling (020) 8877 1200 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Find out more about how the Carers’ Centre could help you, including a free respite service, by visiting www.carerswandsworth.org.uk.
Parents and carers of children or young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) can get help from the council’s Family Information Service. They run a Disabled Children’s Register and the popular WAND Card scheme that enables families with SEND members get extra support and discounts when they’re out and about.
Their Carers Week events include:
- Free 80 minute networking sessions at the Town Hall at 10.30am and 6.30pm on June 13
- An information stand from 11am-4pm hosted by Southside Shopping Centre on June 14. Meet Parent Champions, find out about the WAND Card, Disabled Children’s Register and other support available. There will be a prize draw at 2pm with vouchers donated by businesses including Debenhams, Cineworld, Planet Organic and Rosso Pomodoro, plus a final chance to take part in this year’s Carers’ Survey.
- Free parent and carer mindfulness and drawing session at the National Gallery, including a free lunch.
To book your place, find out more or enter the prize draw, call (020) 8871 7899, email email@example.com or text 07797 805 456.
Carers providing care and support to an adult in Wandsworth can ask the council for a Carer Assessment to see if you qualify for support. Find out more at www.wandsworth.gov.uk/carers.
The Wandsworth Young Carers Project helps people under the age of 18. Call (020) 7228 2566 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.