Christmas comes to Putney and Balham
Published: Thursday 1st December 16
The spectacular Putney Christmas Lights event tomorrow (Dec 2) will kick Putney’s Christmas shopping season off with a bang.
Last year's event in Putney
Highlights include food and gift stalls, mulled wine, music and an iceskating rink. Stalls open at noon in Church Square and shops will be open late.
The entertainment timetable is as follows:
- 4.15pm Hotham School Choir
- 4.30pm Putney ARK Academy band
- 4.45pm Hurlingham School Choir
- 5pm Little Voices performance
- 5.15pm Amanda’s Action and Dance Grooves workshop – free to join in
- 5.45pm Red Star Theatre Arts performance
- 5.55pm Rock Choir
- 6pm Light switch On by Jason Ramsay, British Adventurer, who ran 17,000km in 502 days.
- 6.15pm Stephen Webb – performing songs from the 2017 Wimbledon Theatre production Wonderland
- 6.30pm Putney Light Operatic Society – Songs from Robin Hood showing in January at Putney Arts Theatre
- 6.50pm Stagecoach Putney performance
- 7.10pm Rock Choir
Putney has an ice-skating rink
There will also be a farmers' market and ice skating on Saturday December 3 in Church Square. Most iceskating slots are booked, but some are still available on Friday afternoon. Book here.
On Sunday, the festive season kicks off in Balham. Highlights include:
- 1pm South West London Choral Society
- 2pm: Putney and Wandsworth Brass Band
- 3pm: Inspire Ballet and Dance
- 3:30pm Community Carols
- 4pm: Rock Choir
- 4:20pm the council’s business spokesman Cllr Kim Caddy will launch the completed public realm and art works in Balham, including Bedford Hill Place
- 4:30pm: The Mayor of Wandsworth Cllr Richard Field will switch on the lights
Carols in Balham
There will also be stalls in Hildreth Street, Santa will be there and visitors can have a snap taken with Sam the Donkey in the nativity-themed photo booth.