Nationality Document Return Service (NDRS)
The Nationality Document Return Service (NDRS) is an optional service for applicants who have made an online application for British Citizenship. We will photocopy and certify your documents and send them to the Home Office so that you can keep the originals, including your passport. You can also use the Joint Citizenship and Passport (JCAP) service is you are using NDRS.
The Nationality Document Return Service (NDRS):
- Allows people applying for British Citizenship online to keep their passports and original documents whilst their application is being processed by UK Visas and Immigration.
- Copies and certifies your documents and ensures secure, swift and safe submission.
- This service can only be used by applicants who have made an online application for British Citizenship using the AN and MN1 form (if you are applying using a different form you may use the Nationality Checking Service)
- We are not able to offer advice and all advice should have been sought before contacting us. If you need advice please contact UK Visas and Immigration directly.
The advantage of using this service is that your passport remains safely with you.
This service costs £35 per applicant. Postage is charged separately according to the weight of your application. Prices include VAT.
|Weight of documents||Cost|
|Up to 750g||£10|
|Up to 1kg||£12|
|Up to 2kg||£14|
|Up to 5kg||£22|
|Up to 10kg||£30|
|Up to 20kg||£50|
Making an application
To make an application, you must complete the appropriate application form.
You must attend an NDRS appointment within 10 working days of submitting your application. We advise all applicants not to submit your online application until have confirmed your appointment with our office.
If you have any further questions you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Book an appointment online.
At your appointment
All applicants over 15 years and 6 months need to attend in person. Children under 15 years old do not need to attend in person.
During your appointment we will copy and certify your current valid passport and all of your other original documents, and then send them to UK Visas and Immigration on your behalf.
You must bring:
- Your documents checklist printed out
- All required documents
- Original referee page with photograph taken within the last month attached.
- Payment for postage
If you wish to apply for your passport at the same time, you can also use the Joint Citizenship and Passport Service (JCAP).
If your application for citizenship is a success, your British passport will be posted to your home after you have attended your citizenship ceremony.
The joint service costs an additional £15 which is payable at your appointment.
If you wish to use this service, you must also bring:
- Completed passport form (our JCAP page has details on how to complete this correctly)
- Two extra passport photos. These must be identical to the photo used on your referee’s page
- Please note that children aged between 12 and 15 years old must sign section 6 of the passport form
Please note that the NDRS does not check your application or supporting documents for accuracy, nor guarantee its success.
Further information about the service can be found on GOV.UK.
After you have applied
Once your application has been submitted we will not have any further involvement with your application.
If you would like to discuss your application with UK Visas and Immigration you should contact them directly.