Trees and planted areas
Trees are valuable in many ways both for biodiversity and adding to the pleasantness of the borough and many are protected and managed by the council.
Our Tree Section manages street trees and trees on public open space or council owned land. They are specialists in arboriculture and undertake the day-to-day management of trees. We are only responsible for maintaining trees on council-owned land or for which we have legal responsibility.
What we do
What we don't do
Who to contact for...
- Private gardens: contact the property owner
- Leasehold gardens: contact the property occupier
- Street trees on Red Routes or trunk roads: contact Transport for London via their report a roadworks issue or street fault facility or call 0845 305 1234 (minicom: 0845 600 172)
- Housing estates managed by Co-op or RMO (Residents' Management Organisation): contact the Individual Co-op or RMO manager
- Schools: contact the head teacher
- Streatham and Lambeth Cemeteries: contact Lambeth Council at www.lambeth.gov.uk/ContactUs
- Housing association property: contact the occupier or the housing association.
- Inspect street trees on a bi-annual basis and as and when required
- Maintain street trees by supervising and directing our contractor
- Investigate the need for work and prepare work programmes, to ensure a reasonable level of safety to comply with all relevant legislation
- Provide technical expertise, witnesses, advice and respond to street tree-related enquiries
- Provide 24-hour cover to respond to tree-related emergencies
- Keep an accurate street tree inventory
- Inspect and maintain the highway planted areas as and when necessary
- Process planning applications for Tree Preservation Orders and trees in conservation areas for the borough planner.
All work done on behalf of the council is carried out by Advanced Tree Services.
We also offer:
- Advice about protected trees
- Advice about trees on development sites
- Advice about tree legislation.