Cold and winter weather is a regular risk in the UK. Severe weather can strike quickly, and can cause major disruption to homes, families and communities. It is important that you are prepared for any cold weather, particularly in the months of December to February.
Cold Weather Plan for England
The Cold Weather Plan for England contains practical things we can all do to minimise the risks to our health this winter.
The plan offers advice that you can take before and during the winter, to reduce the risks to your health. It also provides health and social care services with guidance in the event of severe weather and periods of cold weather (1 November to 31 March).
Get Ready for Winter
The Met Office’s Get Ready for Winter campaign provides lots of advice on winter travel, preparation of your home and health advice in cold weather.
Information on where our road gritting procedures and routes can be found on our road gritting pages.
Further advice on preparing for cold weather
- Met Office - Check your local weather forecast regularly and keep up to date with weather warnings
- NHS - Advice on very cold weather
- GOV.UK - Keep Warm Keep Well guidance on winter financial help
- Our wrap up warm this winter leaflet
- NHS - Seasonal flu jab information
- The British Red Cross - Download the free emergency app for cold weather alerts and advice
- The Highway Code - Driving in adverse weather conditions