Severe weather


Parts of Wandsworth are at risk of flooding from the rivers Wandle, Graveney, Thames and the Beverley Brook.

You can find out if your property is in a flood zone by checking on the Environment Agency's flood pages. If you are in a flood zone you can register to receive flood warnings via their website, or telephone Floodline on 0845 988 1188 (24 hours).

In all circumstances, when a major incident occurs in the borough, your first action should be to contact the Emergency Services by telephoning 999.

Our own 24 hour Emergency Control can be contacted on 020 8871 6900.

Flood Warning Direct

The Environment Agency provides free flood warning service to those felt to be at risk of fluvial (e.g. flooding from rivers and brooks) or tidal flooding.

Once registered, you will receive these warnings by phone, email or text message if your home or business is at risk of flooding. To sign up for this service, please go to the Environment Agency’s Flood Warning Direct pages

Residents can obtain up to date flooding information in their area via the Environment Agency's flood pages or telephone Floodline on 0845 9881 188 (24/7).

Flooding and insurance

It is essential that you have suitable insurance. The Association of British Insurers (ABI) provide useful flood insurance guidance for your home.

This page also has a useful document if flooding has already occurred, outlining what to expect from your insurer and the insurance recovery process. 

We are unable to dispose of flood damaged/contaminated products. Removal must be arranged through your insurance company. Make sure you keep a record of all items for disposal.

Flood mapping

Using historical flood data the Environment Agency have produced maps that show Flood Zones within the Borough.

Many of these zones now benefit from flood defences such as the Thames Barrier, raised embankments, weirs and sluices.

Use our maps to see if your property falls within one of the Environment Agency Flood Zones. See more information about flood zones.


The ultimate responsibility for protecting a private business or residence lies with the owner of that property. We do not normally provide sandbags, but will consider requests from vulnerable people (such as the elderly or those with medical conditions) on an individual basis. If you are eligible, telephone our 24 hour Emergency Control on 020 8871 6900.

If you are not eligible, you will be able to buy sandbags from your local builders merchant or DIY store, but they can be heavy and difficult to store. Plastic sacking filled with soil or sand, growbags, or specific flood protection products are recommended alternatives. The National Flood Forum ‘Blue Pages’ list suppliers and manufacturers of flood defence products. 

Blocked drain, culvert or gully

If the drain or culvert or gully is located on your own property, it is your responsibility to clear it.

If it is located on a red route road then it is the responsibility of Transport for London; contact TfL on 0343 222 1234 and dial option 5.

If it is on any other road it is our responsibility. You can report blocked drains and gullies online at by using our 'Report It' app.


Thames Water are responsible for main sewers. Visit the Thames Water website or telephone 0845 920 0800.

Further advice on advanced preparation and recovery around flooding

Pages in Severe weather