Keep Wandsworth Clean
Fly-tipping, littering and street cleanliness is emerging as an issue that concerns the majority of our residents.
We work seven days a week to keep our streets clean, cleaning our busy town centres up to five times a day. Last year we spent a total of £4.3 million on the street cleansing, cleaning 418.52 km of streets per week.
See what a day is like for one of our Sweeping Operatives in Battersea.
Those who dump rubbish in our streets affect everyone in the community. We want to work with you to tackle the issue of fly-tipping and catch those responsible.
Managing your waste correctly
We can all play a part in helping to keep Wandsworth clean. Residents and businesses can assist by managing their waste correctly.
- Put waste out correctly to reduce the risk of missed bin collections.
- If you have large disposable items, book a bulky waste collection or visit the household waste recycling centre.
- All businesses are responsible for ensuring that they manage their waste responsibly to comply with the law.
- Only use waste removal companies that are licensed
To help keep our streets clean, we have Enforcement Officers who are currently out on our streets day and night. They are there to:
- Educate residents and businesses about their waste disposal duties and responsibilities.
- Investigate reports of dumped rubbish; identify where it has come from and who has dumped it.
- Enforce waste related legislation by issuing penalties and prosecuting individuals and organisations found to be responsible for fly-tipping
Find out what a day on patrol with Wandsworth enforcement team is like.
From October 2017 to March 2018, enforcement officers issued 1,631 fines for littering, 41 fines for littering from a vehicle and successfully tracked down and fined 88 flytippers. The team has also taken action against businesses that don’t properly manage their waste and they have issued 476 penalty charge notices to local traders for not complying with the law.
There are many ways to get involved to help keep Wandsworth clean:
- Leave your waste and recycling bags out on the correct day each week.
- Show your support on Twitter using the hashtag #KeepWandsworthClean.
- If you are a teacher, find out about the Waste Education Programme for schools at the Western Riverside Waste Authority.
- If you are a landlord, find out your waste responsibilities for your tenants.
- If you are a business owner, find out your commercial waste responsibilities.
- Set up your own Environment and Attractive Neighbourhood project with support from the Wandsworth Grant Fund.
During February and April 2018 we trialled some innovative ideas in Tooting to help combat littering and flytipping in the town centre.
Working in partnership with award-winning environmental charity Hubbub, Wandsworth residents had the opportunity to get involved in a number of activities including a community clean-up day, sprucing up Church Lane car park, and gum chalking events.
We spoke to local people to find out makes them proud to live and work in Tooting. Watch the video interview with Kate Allen, Tooting resident for 40 years and member of the Balham and Tooting Community.