Keep Wandsworth Clean
Flytipping, littering and street cleanliness is emerging as an issue that concerns the majority of our residents.
We work seven days a week to keep our streets clean, cleaning our busy town centres up to five times a day. Last year we spent a total of £4.3 million on the street cleansing, cleaning 418.52 km of streets per week.
See what a day is like for one of our Sweeping Operatives in Battersea.
We are now expanding our efforts to tackle flytipping, littering and street cleanliness to draw together punitive and persuasive initiatives.
Those who dump rubbish in our streets affect everyone in the community. We want to work with you to tackle the issue of flytipping and catch those responsible.
To help keep our streets clean, we have Enforcement Officers who are currently out on our streets day and night. They are there to:
- Educate residents and businesses about their waste disposal duties and responsibilities.
- Investigate reports of dumped rubbish; identify where it has come from and who has dumped it.
- Enforce waste related legislation by issuing penalties and prosecuting individuals and organisations found to be responsible for fly-tipping
Find out what a day on patrol with Wandsworth enforcement team is like.
In September, enforcement officers issued 301 fines for littering, 10 fines for littering from a vehicle and successfully tracked down and fined 16 flytippers. The team has also taken action against businesses that don’t properly manage their waste and they have issued 71 penalty charge notices to local traders for not complying with the law.
There are many ways to get involved to help keep Wandsworth clean:
- Leave your waste and recycling bags out on the correct day each week.
- Show your support on Twitter using the hashtag #KeepWandsworthClean.
- If you are a teacher, find out about the Waste Education Programme for schools at the Western Riverside Waste Authority.
- If you are a landlord, find out your waste responsibilities for your tenants.
- If you are a business owner, find out your commercial waste responsibilities.
- Set up your own Environment and Attractive Neighbourhood project with support from the Wandsworth Grant Fund.