Council tenant re-housing options
The Room to Move scheme is designed to help under-occupying tenants (tenants in properties larger than they need) move to a smaller home.
We have a range of incentives to help you move to a smaller home. For example we might:
- Offer a spare bedroom if you vacate a property with two or more spare bedrooms
- Offer practical help to assist you throughout your move
- Offer cash incentives of between £2000 and £5000 depending on the size of your property
- Give you first choice of new homes on specified developments in the borough
- Consider rehousing you and an adult child separately if you vacate large family sized accommodation
The Room to Move scheme is open to:
- Those living in a property with one or more spare bedrooms who want to move to a smaller property or sheltered accommodation (for those aged over 55)
- Council tenants with rent arrears may be considered. Any arrears will be deducted from the incentive payment
- Housing association tenants who live in the Borough of Wandsworth may be considered subject to approval from your landlord
Benefits of the scheme may include:
- Priority for a move to an area of your choice
- Possibility of getting £2000 to £5000 depending on how many bedrooms you give up
- Reduced heating and gas charges if you move into a smaller home
- Help with household goods such as a washing machine, fridge freezer and carpets
- Eligibility for sheltered accommodation with facilities which suit your requirements for people aged over 55
Incentives are agreed on an individual case by case basis.
For further information and to apply for this scheme contact the Allocations Team on 020 8871 5884 or email email@example.com.