Council tenant re-housing options

Move out of Wandsworth

Housingmoves Pan-London mobility scheme

Housingmoves is a scheme run by the Greater London Authority (GLA) to help council and housing association tenants who live in London to move to other parts of London.

Through the scheme, a small proportion of social housing properties in each participating borough are made available to social housing tenants living in other parts of London by advertising them on the housingmoves website. The scheme is designed to ensure that the same number of households move out of each borough as move in so that residents from all participating boroughs benefit from the scheme.

To register for the Housingmoves scheme, you must:

  • Be a current council or housing association tenant with a secure or assured tenancy (not an introductory or probationary tenancy) of a property in London and, if you have a joint tenancy you must make a joint application with the joint tenant
  • Not have, or be part of a household containing individuals who have an ongoing record of anti-social behaviour
  • Have had a clear rent account for the last 12 months
  • Not be the subject of a Notice of Seeking Possession or a Notice to Quit

To apply, you will need to complete an online registration form on the Housingmoves website. Free internet access is available in the housing department reception and local libraries.

Once your application has been approved, you will be able to view and bid for (express an interest in) properties that are advertised.

Homefinder UK scheme

Homefinder UK is a scheme to help social housing tenants move from one part of the UK to another. Wandsworth Council tenants can use Homefinder UK for free. 

This scheme helps tenants move nationally, perhaps for a better job or to be nearer to family. Through the scheme you can find a variety of properties to exchange with or rent throughout the UK.

You can register to apply if you are:

  • An existing Wandsworth Council tenant or
  • Living in temporary accommodation (where the council has accepted a homeless duty)

To apply, you will need to complete an online registration form on the Homefinder UK website. Free internet access is available in the housing department reception and local libraries.

Once registered on the website, you will be able to see all home exchange opportunities.

Out of Borough Scheme

The Out of Borough scheme helps tenants relocate to other areas or into private properties.

We may be able to help if you are a:

  • Council, housing association, or co-op tenant in Wandsworth opting to move out of the borough or outside London
  • Tenant who has been accepted as homeless and is currently in temporary accommodation provided by Wandsworth Council
  • Tenant in sheltered housing or those over the age of 55 wishing to access social or private sheltered housing outside of Wandsworth

If accepted onto the scheme you may be eligible for an incentive payment of between £3,000 and £5,000 depending on the size of the property vacated. Tenants in temporary accommodation may also receive financial assistance.

For more information and to apply for this scheme contact

Seaside and Country Homes

The Seaside and Country Homes Scheme offers the chance of moving to the countryside or one of the coastal regions of southern England. The scheme's landlords manage approximately 3,500 bungalows and flats along the coast, from Cornwall to Norfolk as well as Lincolnshire and across the countryside from Dorset to Cambridgeshire.

To register for this scheme you need to be:

  • A council tenant
  • Aged 60 plus
  • Living in London

You should read the Seaside & Country Homes Scheme Guide and Seaside & Country Homes Areas and Properties Guide before you make your application. The Scheme Guide will help you consider  whether moving from London is right for you. It will also tell you about what will happen once you have applied for the scheme. You can apply online.