Council tenant re-housing options

Swap your home

Mutual Exchanges

The Mutual Exchange Scheme helps existing council and housing association tenants living anywhere in the UK to move to another home by swapping their properties with each other. You can swap homes provided:  

  • Both households agree to move
  • You have each received written consent from your landlord before you move

To find someone to swap homes with, you can register for free with House Exchange.

You can also advertise and search for someone to swap with by using newsagents windows or local newspapers.

If you find a swap or would like further details, please contact the accommodation placement team on