Road and pavement licences

Private street works

Public utilities have a right to excavate the highway by central government permission. Other companies must apply for a private street works licence as required under Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA).

Any company without the rights of utilities can apply for a street works licence to prove its aptitude to safely undertake works on the highway.

How to apply

Download and complete a private street works licence application form and return it to for processing.

If you require further advice before submitting your application you can email and we will be able to help. 

What happens next?

We will contact you to discuss and progress your application. Once your application is approved you will be asked to make your payment.  When you have paid your licence will be issued.  No work can begin until you have the licence.


The fee is £747. This covers all supervision/inspections and administration charges. 

If your excavation is over 10 linear metres a deposit of £125 per metre will apply. At the time of making your application you will be notified if this does apply, and the process will be explained.