Tables and chairs, balconies and crane operation licences

Tower crane operation

Crane operators must have a licence to operate a crane that oversails the highway. This is in accordance with Section 178 of the Highways Act 1980 and for public safety. We are responsible for managing and issuing crane oversail licences.

How to apply

Download and complete an application form and return it to us for an initial highway assessment.

What happens next?

We will contact you in writing within 14 days. If there is no objection to your application you will be asked to pay the fee. When you have paid the fee a licence approving the tower crane will be issued.


The fee is £155 for the first licensed month, or any part of it.

For the following months the fee is £100 per month or any part of the month, up to a maximum of 12 months.

Make a payment

How long is the licence valid?

After 12 months if a licence is still required a new application must be made.

If crane operations exceed 12 months or the crane operation details change, you must submit a new application for each change or for the 12 month period.

Pages in Tables and chairs, balconies and crane operation licences