Schools work experience programme
We look for young people who have a keen interest in dogs. The one-two week programme is suitable for pupils in secondary school year 10 and above and also for mature students involved in animal related studies.
We encourage local schools to participate in the programme, which has been awarded a Certificate of Recognition by Bexley School's BEST Team.
The young person can expect to:
- Spend time with experienced staff and visit the Blue Cross Animal Hospital, Battersea Park children's zoo, the council's contracted holding kennels and the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow
- Learn how to handle a stray dog and get basic guidance on dangerous dogs
- Attend a mock interview for a job within the team
- Give evidence at a mock court having been shown how to prosecute a byelaw offender
- Learn about working with dogs in the community
- Give a short presentation on a dog/animal subject to an invited audience.