European Passport Return Service (EPRS)
The European Passport Return Service is an optional service that allows you to take your passports to a participating local authority for verification and copying, and for the local authority to then send the copy to the Home Office.
You can use this service if you are an EEA or Swiss national and you have applied online for a registration certificate or a document certifying permanent residence. Please read the guidance on GOV.UK before applying.
The European Passport Return Service (EPRS):
- Allows EEA, Swiss nationals and their family members to keep their passports whilst their online application for Permanent Residence or Residence Card (Qualifying Period) is being processed by UK Visa and Immigration.
- Copies and certifies your passports so that you can keep the original.
- Ensures secure, swift and safe submission of your documents to the Home Office via Next-Day delivery.
- We can only certify valid passports. If you don't have a valid passport, you will need to need to submit your original identity card (photocopies aren't accepted).
- We are not able to offer advice and all advice should have been sought before contacting us. If you are unsure if you should be applying for permanent residency or a residence card, please contact UK Visas and Immigration directly.
The advantage of using the service is that your passport remains safely with you. You will be able to travel whilst your application is ongoing.
The service costs £15 per applicant, and fees are payable to the Home Office – as stated on the application form.
Postage is charged separately, according to the weight of your application (in kg) and is based on current Royal Mail special delivery charges. VAT is added after weighing.
Making an application
To make an application, you must go online and complete the appropriate application form.
You must attend our European Passport Return Service within ten working days of submitting your application. We advise all applicants not to submit your online application until you have a confirmed appointment with our office.
If you have any further questions you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request an appointment, please complete the online form.
We offer appointments on Mondays from 1 to 4.30pm,and Wednesdays from 9am to 4.30pm.
If you attend an appointment after 3.30pm, your application will be posted the following day. Please bear this in mind when booking an appointment as you may miss the submission date.
At your appointment
All applicants over 15 years and six months old must attend in person. Children under 15 years old do not need to attend in person.
You must bring the following:
- Your original passport(s)
- A completed copy of your online checklist and original supporting documents
- A printed copy of your online application form
- Two passport size photos with your name on the back
- Payment for postage (cash or card, excluding American Express)
During your appointment we will copy and certify your current valid passport and send all of your other original documents to UK Visas and Immigration on your behalf.
Please note that the European Passport Return Service does not check your application or supporting documents for accuracy, nor guarantee its success.
Further information about the service can be found on GOV.UK.
After you have applied
Once your application has been submitted we will not have any further involvement with your application.
Should you wish to discuss your application with UK Visas and Immigration you should contact them directly.