Settlement Checking Service (SCS)

What you need to provide

When you telephone or email to book an appointment, our staff will tell you what to bring with you. Instructions explaining which documents are needed are in the SET (M) application form and guidance notes on the GOV.UK website. You must bring the completed SET (M) form with you to your appointment.

Your spouse/partner must attend your appointment with you. If you have dependent children (under 18) they do not have attend.

Life in the UK Test and English language requirement

From October 28 2013, applicants for settlement need to show that they have suitable knowledge of English and life in the UK. If you are a citizen of a majority English speaking country, you only need to do the Life in the UK Test to apply for settlement. The official list of majority English Speaking countries are:

  • Antigua & Barbuda
  • Australia
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts & Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent & the Grenadines
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • The United State of America

* For the purposes of settlement, the Republic of Ireland is also considered an English speaking country.

If you are not a citizen of a majority English-speaking country you must do the Life in the UK Test and one of the following:

  • English qualification at level B1 or above
  • Degree or post graduate diploma that was taught or researched in English
  • An ESOL qualification at Entry Level 3 or higher
  • More about English language requirements