Nationality Checking Service (NCS)

What you need to provide

Applying as the national of an EU/EEA country

Life in the UK Test and English language requirement

If you are a citizen of a majority English speaking country you only need to do the Life in the UK Test to apply for citizenship.

Official list of English-speaking countries:

  • Antigua & Barbuda
  • Australia
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • St Lucia
  • St Kitts & Nevis
  • St Vincent & the Grenadines
  • Trinidad & Tobago
  • The United State of America

For the purposes of naturalisation, the Republic of Ireland is also included as a majority English speaking country.

If you are not a citizen of a majority English-speaking country you must do one of the following:

  • English qualification at level B1 or above
  • Degree or post graduate diploma that was taught or researched in English
  • An ESOL qualification at Entry Level 3 or higher
  • More about English language requirements