Nationality Checking Service (NCS)
Please note that if you wish to use the Nationality Checking Service you must use the paper application form and not the Home Office's online form. To use the Joint Citizenship and Passport Service you must use a paper application form and apply via the Nationality Checking Service.
The Nationality Checking Service (NCS):
- checks completed application forms for British Citizenship
- checks that the correct form has been completed and the correct fee has been paid
- ensures all required supporting documents are attached
- checks, copies and certifies the supporting documents so that applicants can keep the original documents
- ensures secure, swift and safe submission of your documents to the Home Office via Next-Day delivery
The advantage of using the service is that your documents, including your passport, remain safely with you. You will be able to travel whilst your application is on-going.
The Home Office introduced new legislation regarding naturalisation fees on 18 March 2016. More information can be found on GOV.UK.
If you are a European Economic Area (EEA) national please note that the Home Office have now changed their requirements. All EEA Nationals are now required to have a document certifying Permanent Residence from the Home Office.
For more information please refer to the January 2016 version of the AN booklet and guide, or telephone the Home Office on 0300 123 2253.
- Per adult: £60
- Per child: £35
- Joint citizenship and passport checking fee: £15
- Fees to the Home Office vary depending on type of application
Please note that if you wish to use the Joint Citizenship and Passport Application Service, you must book an appointment Monday to Friday between 9am and 3pm.
- Monday to Thursday: 9.30am to 6.45pm
- Friday: 9.30am to 3pm
- Saturdays: 9.30am to 3pm
- Adults: If you are not married to/ the civil partner of a British citizen (5 year rules)
- Adults: If you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen (3 year rules)
- Children: Born in the UK
- Children: Born outside of the UK
- Children: Born outside of the UK with parents British by descent
Applying as the national of an EU/EEA country
- Adults: If you are not married to/ the civil partner of a British citizen (6 year rules)
- Adults: If you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen (5 year rules)
- Applying as the family member of an EU/EEA National
Terms and Conditions
- Full appointment fees are payable at the time of booking
- All Nationality Checking fees are non-refundable
- Appointments can be rescheduled more than 48 hours ahead of your appointment time. You will only be able to reschedule your appointment once.
- Appointments cannot be rescheduled within 48 hours of your appointment.
- Failure to attend a re-scheduled appointment will result in the loss of the fee and a fresh appointment and new fee will be required. If you attend an appointment and it is found that you are not eligible to apply, your original fee is not transferrable to a new appointment.
If you need to contact the Home Office after your application form has been submitted, view contact UK Visas and Immigration from inside the UK (GOV.UK website).