A Civil Marriage is a secular (non-religious) ceremony that is conducted and registered by a Registrar.
The ceremony cannot have any religious content, but individual touches can be added such as non-religious music and readings.
We make a commitment to ensure that we will do all we can to make your special day a happy and memorable occasion.
Where can I get married?
You are able to get married in buildings that have been officially registered for marriages.
In Wandsworth, these are:
- The Register Office. Wandsworth Register Office has four ceremony rooms within the Town Hall which you can be married in. These are; the Register Office (Elizabeth Room), the Sovereign Suite which includes the Victoria and Alexandra Rooms and the Grand Chamber.
- Approved venues such as a hotel, an art centre and a sporting venue.
- Places of religious worship in the district where one of you lives.
- Places of religious worship outside the district in which you live, but which one of you uses as your usual place of worship.
Booking a ceremony at Wandsworth Town Hall or at an approved venue in Wandsworth
You need to check the availability of the Registrars to attend a ceremony. Your marriage or civil partnership ceremony booking is provisional until such time as you have given your notices and completed the legal preliminaries.
- A non-refundable booking fee of £50 is required at the time of booking. This will be redeemed against the ceremony and certificate fee.
- Any outstanding balance is due no later than 2 months before the ceremony. If your booking is within 2 months the full fee is payable at the time of booking.
- Any changes to your booking will incur an administrative fee.
- The Register Office reserves the right to cancel a ceremony if payment has not been received.
If you choose an approved venue you will also need to make a booking at the venue.
The Civil ceremony can last up to a maximum of 30 minutes depending on its content.
Ceremonies typically contain two pieces of music (during the entrance and signing of the register), do not require an exchange of rings (although it is traditional to do so) and have no set dress code. Please note that partners can only be kept separate when using the Alexandra Room or other venues outside of Wandsworth Council. Please ensure you check with the venue if this is possible.
You will not be able to re-arrange the ceremony rooms within the Council Registration Suite. Fresh flowers are provided for all these rooms. If your ceremony is booked in the Grand Chamber, you may bring your own flowers but you must remove the flowers at the end of the ceremony. Please check with other venues for flower arrangements. Pets are not permitted to attend the ceremony within the council building.
You must also bring your own witnesses with you as the Register Office will not provide witnesses.