Copies of Marriage and Civil Partnership certificates

If you're missing information

All records of marriages and civil partnerships that took place in England and Wales will be held at The General Register Office. They are able to carry out a much wider search in cases where details are not known. You can order a certificate through The General Register Office or by calling them on 0300 123 1837.

General Search

By law registers are not open to the public for inspection. If you would like to conduct a general search for family history or other purposes, you are able to come to the Register Office to look through our indexes with the assistance of a registrar.

Searches are by appointment only, You will need to give specific information about the person or people that you are trying to trace.

  • Call 020 8871 6120 to arrange an appointment for a General Search. Appointments are available between 9am and 4pm.


  • £18 for a search for up to 6 hours.

The 6 hours can be spread out, but this will be decided upon at the discretion of the Superintendent Registrar. 


Pages in Copies of Marriage and Civil Partnership certificates