Copies of death certificates
If you would like to order a death certificate you need to provide the following information about the entry:
- Full name
- Date of death
- Place of death
Ordering a certificate
You can order online, in person, or by writing to us. Cheques or postal orders payable to 'Wandsworth Borough Council'.
- £11 (standard service – produced within 15 working days)
- £35 (priority service – produced by the next working day if ordered before 15:00)
Your certificate can be collected from our office or posted to you.
- £2 (Signed For – 1st Class post)
- £7 (Special Delivery Guaranteed / Overseas)
*Please ensure that there is someone at the address who can take delivery of your certificate as it must be signed for. Overseas postage must be paid for certificates sent outside the UK.
Deaths outside of Wandsworth
If a death occurred outside the London Borough of Wandsworth you can order the death certificate directly from the register office where the death entry is held.
If the death was not in Wandsworth, you can:
- apply to the register office where the death took place
- apply to Her Majesty's Passport Office
If you're missing some details
All records of deaths which took place in England and Wales will be held at the General Register Office (GRO). The GRO is able to carry out a much wider search in cases where details are not known. You can order a certificate online or at 0300 123 1837.