Advice and support for the Armed Forces Community
Armed Forces Champions
The council has two champions of cadet and armed forces issues.
Councillor Leslie McDonnell - Armed Forces Champion
A former major in the TAVR and Army Reserve, the council's representative on the Reserve Forces and Cadets Association (RFCA), and President of the Putney branch of the Royal British Legion.
Cllr McDonnell can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
Paul McCue - Armed Forces Advisor
A former council officer, now a contractor to the council, and a former member of the Cadet forces. As a military historian, he has published several books and articles. He has delivered presentations and tours on military subjects, including topics of relevance to Wandsworth.
Mr McCue can be contacted at email@example.com.
Please note: Cllr McDonnell and Mr McCue are not the first points of contact for the armed forces community (see the directory Reserve forces, cadet and legion units for further details), but they are available to assist in any dispute or complaint resolution.
How they can help
Examples of the type of issues that the Armed Forces Champion and Advisor can help with have included:
- children’s education/school places for Armed Forces Community (AFC) families moving into the borough
- assistance with parking permits for AFC personnel resident within the borough
- discounted rates at leisure centres
- facilities for Regular and Reserve forces training
- assistance with eligibility for social housing
- support on estate/premises matters for locally-based Reserve units
- facilities and advertising for Regular and Reserve forces recruitment
- granting Freedom of the Borough for relevant Regular and Reserve units
- homecoming receptions and parades for units returning from active service
- presentations and events celebrating the Borough’s military history
- support for Council and Enable Leisure and Culture staff serving in the Reserve forces
If you are unable to identify the right service or member of staff in the Council to deal with an issue, or if you feel you are disadvantaged or receiving an unfair service as a result of your being part of the AFC, then please contact the Council’s Armed Forces Champion or Armed Forces Advisor and we will do our best to help you. Special consideration may be possible only in certain circumstances.
Armed forces charities and support organisations
- Armed Forces Covenant Fund
- Veterans Gateway
- Veterans UK
- London Veterans Service
- Directory of Armed Forces Charities
- Forces in Mind Trust
- NHS Choices – Healthcare for the Armed Forces Community
- London HIVE (Information network for the Service community)
- MOD Children’s Education Advisory Service
- Naval Families Federation
- Army Families Federation
- Royal Air Force Families Federation
- COBSEO (Confederation of Service Charities)
- Royal British Legion
- Stoll (Housing and Helping Veterans in London)
- ABF The Soldiers’ Charity - national charity for the British Army
- Combat Stress
- BLESMA (The Limbless Veterans)
Councillor McDonnell and Paul McCue also constitute the Local Covenant Partnership (LCP), with additional members as and when relevant, responsible for considering and endorsing applications from the Borough of Wandsworth to the Government’s Covenant Fund.