Schools, charities and places of worship

Waste charges for non-domestic premises

Container costs

If we collect your rubbish and recycling, you will need to purchase suitable containers or pay our hire charges.

Educational establishments, residential hostels and premises used mainly for public meetings

These premises produce "chargeable household waste". We charge for collecting their rubbish and mixed recyclables but we don't pass on any disposal costs.  We only collect their rubbish if we also provide a mixed recycling service and we only collect if we have been requested to do so. All collections are weekly.


Container type Annual collection charge
per container
 Sack or dustbin  £92.50
 Euro bin/paladin  £296

Charges valid 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019 

Educational establishments can request support with recycling and reducing waste by contacting the Recycle Western Riverside schools programme

Charities, hospitals, nursing homes and prisons

We can collect rubbish and recycling from these premises upon request.  However, we have the power to re-charge the full collection and waste disposal cost back to them. These premises will usually find that private sector operators can provide them with the most cost-effective service. 

Places of worship

We can collect most rubbish and mixed recyclables free-of-charge from places of worship if they are exempted from local non-domestic rating under the Local Government Finance Act 1988. This covers most churches, mosques and synagogues. However, we do charge for collecting waste from church halls if they form part of a separate premise or where they are used wholly or mainly for public meetings.

Collection charges will also apply to certain types of waste including bulky items and garden waste in excess of five sacks per week. To avoid collection charges, any non-chargeable waste must be kept separate from chargeable waste.

Pages in Schools, charities and places of worship