Who qualifies for help with care and support?

We support adults who have difficulty with everyday things, so that they can have as much control and independence as possible. If you have a physical or mental condition which makes it difficult to live independently, you might need some extra help.

We give information and advice to anyone who needs it, and we can help you look at the types of support that will promote your independence. You can organise your support in a way that helps you to live the life you want. This may include help from family and friends, access to social support, services in your community and local support organisations.

For some people, it may also include short-term or on-going social care support from Wandsworth Council. This fact sheet explains who qualifies for help from us.

Assessing your needs for care and support

To receive services from us, we must first assess your needs. We will carry out an assessment if you:

  • have care and support needs as a result of a physical or mental condition; and
  • are aged 18 or over or are moving from children’s services to adult services; and
  • live in Wandsworth

The assessment will look at your care and support needs and evaluate any risks to your independence and wellbeing if those needs are not met. The assessment will look at:

  • Support you need to help you explain your situation and be involved in your assessment
  • Any support you currently receive
  • Your health conditions and disabilities
  • Personal care (eating, dressing, washing, etc.)
  • Your medication
  • Day-to-day activities, such as preparing food, cleaning and shopping
  • Mobility and moving around
  • Managing paperwork and your finances
  • Social relationships and activities
  • Work, training, education and volunteering
  • Your living situation
  • Your mental health and wellbeing
  • Safety and risks
  • Caring responsibilities

Factsheet 2: Who qualifies for help?

Read Who qualifies for help? for more information about the assessment process, the eligibility criteria, what happens if you qualify for help, and what happens if you do not qualify for help.

Contact the access team

To request an assessment or to find out more, contact the access team:

Telephone: 020 8871 7707
Email accessteam@wandsworth.gov.uk

How do carers qualify?

We also offer assessments to carers who may need support to carry out their caring role and be involved in work, education, training and leisure. Find out how we support carers and how carers qualify.

Find out more