Penalty Charge Notices (PCN)
Types of Penalty Charge Notices (PCN)
Parking tickets issued by the council are called 'Penalty Charge Notices' (PCNs).
PCNs require payment of a fine but do not result in a criminal record or points on a driving licence. Fixed Penalty Notices are issued for criminal offences by the Police and Traffic Wardens. Generally speaking, in Wandsworth Penalty Charge Notices will be issued on all roads except red routes.
Penalty Charge Notices are issued when a driver parks a vehicle in contravention of the regulations. In addition the vehicle may also be removed to the car pound.
The council processes Penalty Charge Notices according to the regulations, which specify the steps we must take in order to recover payment of the ticket. There is also provision for drivers to have a formal appeal against a parking ticket heard by an independent Parking Adjudicator.
Penalty charges (parking ticket charges)
These charges are not set by individual Councils, but by a London-wide body called London Councils. This ensures that charges are consistent throughout London.
There are two Charge Bands for Penalty Charge Notices that are issued in the borough of Wandsworth.
- Band A (£130 or £80 depending on how serious the parking contravention is considered to be) - Applies to the area north of the borough bounded by the south circular and the A3 to the west.
- Band B (£110 or £60 depending on how serious the parking contravention is considered to be) - Applies in the remainder of the borough.
There is a 50% discount if payment of a Penalty Charge Notice is received by the council within 14 days.
- If the charge is unpaid after 28 days, a Notice to Owner is sent to registered keeper of the vehicle and the full charge is payable.
- If the charge is unpaid, it increases by 50% upon issue of a Charge Certificate.
- If the charge is subsequently registered as a debt, a £7 court fee is also payable.
- If bailiffs are instructed to recover the debt, bailiff charges are also payable.
- Penalty Charge Notice: £80
- Discounted to £40 if paid within 14 days
- Increasing to £120 when a Charge Certificate is issued
- Increasing to £127 when registered as a debt