Disabled Persons Freedom Pass

Who is eligible for a Freedom Pass?

There are seven categories of disability under which a person can be entitled to a Freedom Pass. An eligible person is someone who:

  • is blind or partially sighted
  • is profoundly or severely deaf
  • is without speech
  • has a disability or has suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk
  • does not have arms or has long-term loss of use of both arms
  • has a learning disability. That is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning or
  • would have their application for a driving licence removed other than for persistent misuse of drugs and alcohol.

How to apply for a Freedom Pass

1. Complete the application form

A Disabled Person's Freedom Pass is issued following an assessment of eligibility using information supplied in the application form. Download the application form.

2. Provide two proofs of identity

When you apply you must also include:

One proof of your name and age. We will accept:

  • Pink driving licence (paper or photo card)
  • Birth certificate if it shows your current name
  • Current passport
  • Medical card

One proof of your current address. We will accept:

  • Current Council Tax payments book, bill or letter
  • Current Council/housing association rent book, statement or letter- (last twelve months)
  • Current TV licence
  • Recent (last three months) residential utility bill: for example gas,electricity, or water bill (not a mobile phone statement)
  • Recent bank, building society or credit card statement (last three months)
  • Recent Benefits Agency letter (last three months)

 See also

How and where you can use your pass.