Key messages 2014
Children and young people challenges
- Children looked after and care leavers: A vulnerable group with known inequities in later life.
- Teenage pregnancy: An intense programme of work with improving trends.
- Gangs and Youth Violence, sexual exploitation of children: Gang membership has been associated with subsequent vulnerability and poor life chances.
- Female Genital Mutilation: A crime with an unknown extent requiring further assessment.
- Children with disabilities and special needs: A group of children with on-going care and support needs.
- Children and Young People’s mental health: An area with limited data on local prevalence and appropriate service response, a detailed assessment is underway.
- Young carers: A vulnerable group with known inequities in later life.