Voting by proxy
European Parliamentary Elections - Thursday 23 May 2019
Deadlines for the European Parliamentary Elections:
- We must receive new postal vote applications (including new postal proxy applications) by 5pm on Wednesday 8 May 2019
- We must receive requests to change existing postal or proxy vote arrangements (e.g. cancellation, redirection of ballot papers, etc.) by 5pm on Wednesday 8 May 2019
- We must receive new proxy vote applications by 5pm on Wednesday 15 May 2019
A proxy vote is when you choose someone to vote for you when you are not able to vote at the polling station yourself.
Unless they have separately applied to vote by postal proxy, they will need to go to your polling station to vote for you.
Apply for proxy vote
You can arrange a proxy for an indefinite period and you can apply at any time - you do not have to wait for an election to be announced.
You should download an application form (yourvotematters website) and submit your application:
- by email to email@example.com
- by post, or
- in person at the Customer Centre at the Town Hall
If you are returning your application close to a deadline, you should send a clear, scanned version by email to ensure it reaches us on time.
You are required to provide your:
- date of birth
- reason for requesting a proxy vote
This information is required by law and for the security of your proxy vote, and your application will not be accepted without this.
Problems providing a signature
You may not be required to provide a signature if:
- you are unable to sign in a consistent or distinctive way because of a disability
- you are unable to read or write
Apply for postal proxy
If your proxy wants your ballot paper to be posted to them, they will need to apply for a postal proxy (11 working days before an election). They will also have to provide their date of birth and signature.
To do this, they must complete and return the application for a proxy to vote by post form.
If they do not provide these they will have to attend your polling station on election day to vote on your behalf.
Apply for emergency proxy vote
You can apply for an emergency proxy vote if you become aware of a reason why you cannot vote in person after the deadline to vote by proxy.
- Medical emergency proxy application (yourvotematters website)
- Occupation, service or employment emergency proxy application (yourvotematters website)
Absent Vote Signature Refresh
If you have been asked to provide updated personal identifiers for your postal or proxy vote, further information is available from Postal/Proxy Vote Signature Refresh.