Care and support - what to expect

We want to make sure you get the right information, advice, and support at the right time.

How do you contact the council?

Our access team is the first point of contact for all enquiries and for care and support referrals. The access team can help you with:

  • information about our services
  • information about other services that may help
  • a referral to a social care professional for help for you or someone you are caring for

When you contact us, our access team will ask you some questions so we can give you the right information. Sometimes information is all you need to make your own arrangements. However, if you need more help we can arrange for an assessment of your care and support needs.

If there is no one suitable to support you and you have substantial difficulty being involved in decisions about your care and support, we will arrange an independent advocate. An advocate helps make sure you’re involved in decisions by helping you understand your rights, express your views, and can help make decisions about your care and support.

Will you be able to help me?

If you think that you need some help from us, you can ask to have an assessment of your needs if you:

  • live in Wandsworth; and
  • are aged 18 or over or are moving from children’s services to adult services; and
  • you think you have care and support needs

Find out more about who qualifies.

Factsheet 12: Care and support - what to expect

Read the full factsheet about Care and support - what to expect for more information about:

  • The different ways of meeting your needs
  • How you can arrange your own care and support
  • How the council agrees care and support plans
  • Reviewing your care and support plan
  • What to do if things change

Contact the access team

Telephone: 020 8871 7707