Support for carers

From the 1st April 2015 carers are entitled to an assessment of their own support needs. We appreciate the important role carers play in the lives of the people they care for and we take our responsibilities to support carers seriously.

Who is a carer?

If you provide unpaid care and support to someone living at home who cannot manage without help because they are frail, ill or have a disability, mental health condition or misuse substances, you could be considered a carer.

What is meant by care and support?

Care and support covers lots of things you might do, like:

  • helping the person with their washing, dressing or eating
  • taking them to regular appointments
  • keeping them company when they feel lonely or anxious

If these sound like the type of things you do, you are a carer and you may be eligible for support from the council in which the person you care for lives.

How can you find out if you are eligible for support?

You can ask us for an assessment of your needs if:

  • the person you care for lives in Wandsworth, even in you live in a different council area yourself; and
  • the person you care for is 18 years old or over.

If the person you care for does not live in Wandsworth, you will need to ask the council where the person lives to assess your needs.

Factsheet 6: Support for carers

Read our factsheet Support for carers for more information about:

  • The eligibility criteria for carers
  • What a carer's assessment involves
  • Types of support for carers

Contact the access team for a carer's assessment

Telephone: 020 8871 7707

Carers under the age of 18

If you are under the age of 18 and care for somebody, you can ask your school for more information. Most schools have a staff member who is the first point of contact for young carers.

To find out more, call the Family Information Service (FIS)

Telephone: 020 8871 7899

Support for carers: see also