What help is available?

We help adults with care and support needs and those who care for them. Find out more about who we help.

You can ask us for information and advice about care and support, and sometimes this may be enough to sort out a problem. Or we may be able to give you information about other services that could help.

If it seems that you need more help, one of our staff will discuss your needs with you and arrange for an assessment. We will always aim to involve you in the assessment and, where appropriate, your carer or someone else you nominate. We can arrange an independent advocate to help you be involved if you have substantial difficulty being involved or expressing your views and you have no one suitable to help with this.

If we can't help you ourselves, we will always try to put you in touch with someone who can. If you qualify for our support we will work with you to create a care and support plan. We can support you to arrange the help we have agreed that you need. Or if you prefer, we can make arrangements for you. Help could include:

  • personal care, such as washing and dressing
  • day activities, if you have difficulties meeting others and taking part in social activities
  • help in the home with things like shopping, housework and food preparation
  • equipment and adaptations to help at home
  • support to develop social skills
  • support to develop employment skills
  • help with care and support to study
  • help with parenting

Support for carers

A carer is somebody who provides unpaid care or support to an adult, such as a family member or friend. Find out how we support carers.

Short term help and enablement

It may be that you only need help for a short while after an illness or hospital admission and we will do all we can to help you stay as independent as possible.

Enablement is for people who have lost the ability to do some things for themselves but who could become more independent with the right support.

It is only suitable if you want to become more independent and your long term health is stable or improving. You will have a plan which will have goals to aim for. After a while your plan will be reviewed and if you need ongoing support we will help you to arrange this.

Find out more about our enablement service, Keep Independent Through Enablement (KITE).

Other help

Contact the access team for more information about services or to ask for an assessment.

Email: accessteam@wandsworth.gov.uk
Telephone: 020 8871 7707 Monday-Friday 9am-5pm

Next steps

Find out who qualifies for help with care and support.

If you’re eligible for help, find out about care and support planning.

Find out about paying for care and support.

Contact us

Adult Social Services
Customer Centre 
Town Hall
Wandsworth High Street
SW18 2PU

Email: accessteam@wandsworth.gov.uk

Telephone: 020 8871 7707 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)

Emergency out of hours: please contact the switchboard and ask for the emergency social worker: 020 8871 6000