Council tenants: Repairs and maintenance

Gas safety

If you smell gas or suspect a leak turn off the gas at the mains supply immediately and then leave your property.

Contact the Gas Emergency National Grid 0800 111 999 if you

  • smell gas
  • have a gas leak
  • suspect carbon monoxide

Or contact Wandsworth Emergency Control 020 8871 7490


We have a legal duty to undertake a gas safety inspection and service every year.  

You must let council contractors into your property so they can carry out inspections. If they are refused access, we may seek a court injunction to carry out the inspection.

Installing your own appliances

Appliances, such as gas cookers, must be installed by a Gas Safe registered contractor. You must not install your own gas-fired heating or hot water system.


Gas servicing

You are responsible for your heating and hot water appliances. You should have your gas appliances serviced every year by a Gas Safe registered contractor. 


By law, if you sublet your property, you must arrange for gas appliances to be properly maintained and inspected each year by a registered Gas Safe contractor. Failure to observe this requirement may make you liable for prosecution.

You must:

  • Produce proof of this annual inspection and service if requested by us.
  • Provide a copy of the certificate for your tenants.

Reporting faults

You should report any faults and defects to the contractor who is required to respond within 24 hours.

Gas contractors in Wandsworth:

If you live in Battersea, Clapham, Wandsworth or Earlsfield, contact Smith & Byford*:

* Or throughout the borough where your domestic heating is supplied by a central communal boiler-house

If you live in Putney, Roehampton or Tooting, contact T Brown: