If you're struggling to pay your rent
Ways to save money
Review your income; are you receiving the right benefits?
You can check this online at http://www.entitledto.co.uk/. This will only take a few minutes.
Do you know what your outgoings are?
Look through your bank account and make a list of what you spend your money on each week/month. Complete a Budget Plan.
Do you know how to prioritise your spending?
You have to pay your priority debts first, such as: rent, Council Tax, electric, water etc.
Then pay your non-priority bills. For example, mobile, Sky, credit cards, loans.
Check if you're entitled to assistance with your water bill, or call 0845 9200 888.
You may be eligible to apply for a grant for assistance with fuel bills or essential household items.
Look at areas where you may be able to change your spending habits
- Avoid using PayDay Loans
- Change your Gas/Electric provider to a cheaper tariff
- Give your Gas and Electric provider regular meter readings to ensure you are paying for what you are using and not estimated usage
- Review your mobile contract where applicable
- Look at reducing your TV package with Sky/Virgin or consider cancelling contract and having Freeview
- If you have internet at home, shop around for a cheaper package
- If you are paying interest on a credit card, transfer your balance to a 0% interest credit card
- Review your insurance package for car, home or life insurance
- Keep to your budget and do not spend unnecessarily
- Free Debt Advice can be given from Step Change Debt Charity, or Citizens Advice, or The Money Advice Service.