My home is unsafe because of abuse, violence or harassment

If you’re not safe in your home because of violence or harassment there are a wide range of options available to you. 

If you need to leave your home you may want to consider the following:

  • Is it safe for you to remain in Wandsworth? If not you can apply for housing assistance to any local authority you believe you will be safe in.
  • Changing your contact details and social media details, to prevent the perpetrator from contacting you whilst you are seeking help.
  • Not following your usual routine or going to places the perpetrator may know where you will be such as schools/GP practices.
  • Seek support from family, friends or relatives whilst you are looking for help.

For further information and advice, see our guidance on domestic violence support.

Apply for housing assistance

If you are in immediate danger, you must call 999.

If you need to leave your home and have nowhere safe to go tonight, you should attend the Housing Reception Centre in person to complete a housing application form in a safe place before being given an appointment the same day.

The Housing Reception Centre is open between 9am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday. 

Housing Reception Centre
90 Putney Bridge Road 
SW18 1HR 

Outside of these hours you should contact 020 8871 6000.

If you need to leave your home but have somewhere safe to stay temporarily (for example, with friends or family) you should complete the homelessness application form to begin your assessment and we will contact you to arrange an appointment as early as the next day if necessary.

We will not contact the perpetrator if you make an application to us.

It will however be useful if you can provide us with any supporting evidence you may have, such as police reports, injunctions and details of any areas you feel you would not remain safe in.

We also have a domestic violence advocate who can offer support and advice. Once you've made your application, we can refer you to this service.

Other options

There are other charities and organisations that may be able to help:

  • The national domestic violence helpline, schemes and assistance are targeted for both men and women, phone 0808 2000 247 (freephone)
  • Wandsworth Women's Aid (Hestia Housing and Support)
  • Victim Support – registered charity to assist and support victims of a crime or traumatic experience, phone 0808 1689 111 (freephone)