Adaptations and improvements to older and disabled people's homes

Making homes decent and adapting them for disabled people

If you own your property, we can help you repair or improve your home to bring it up to standard, ensuring that your home is warm, safe and secure.

We can also refer tenants of private landlords to the Private Housing Group for help in getting work done in your home.

We work with Occupational Therapists to provide both minor and major adaptations for:

  • Residents referred by Wandsworth's Occupational Therapy Service, who may be;
    • Home owners
    • Tenants of Wandsworth Council
    • Tenants of housing associations or private landlords
  • The council's housing department through the;
    • special needs housing team
    • temporary accommodation team

We support home owners and tenants of housing associations and private landlords through the process of financing and completing building work by:

  • Making a home visit to discuss what is needed.
  • Providing advice and help to apply for grants from the Council or Government.
  • Providing advice or help to apply for benefits or allowances.
  • Providing information about other ways of financing building work.
  • Helping you to complete application forms.
  • Inspecting the property.
  • Getting specialist building reports or estimates, if needed.
  • Preparing a specification for works with drawings, if needed.
  • Preparing a quote for works including VAT and Agency fees.
  • Applying for Planning Permission, if needed.
  • Making an application for a grant, if available.
  • Appointing and supervising approved contractors.
  • Sorting out any problems that might happen when work is carried out.
  • Checking the work on completion and paying the contractor.

Fees and deposits

We charge a fee when we instruct or supervise contractors, or sometimes when they prepare detailed specifications if you are not eligible for a grant.

This fee, which varies according to the complexity and cost of the scheme, may be included in a grant or loan, if you are eligible.

If you are self-funded, we will ask for a deposit upfront.


Pages in Adaptations and improvements to older and disabled people's homes