Improving private housing

What we do

Open4business e-newsletter

We deal with improvements to private housing within the borough.

This involves taking enforcement action where landlords are not maintaining correct conditions or standards.

We also run the Home Improvement Agency which offers information and assistance for home improvements, repairs and adaptations (for older and disabled people's homes).

Our services

The private sector housing team provide a range of services for homeowners and people renting privately.

Empty homes

We bring long-term empty homes back into use through grants and enforcement action.


We provide grants for adaptations, where a member of the household has a disability.

Private tenants

We deal with: 

  • Complaints from private tenants about the condition of their homes.
  • Overcrowding in private rented properties. 
  • Landlords -  by making sure housing is safe, decent and necessary improvements are carried out.
  •  Housing matters and nuisance issues, such as as blocked drains, disconnection of services and rubbish accumulations.

Houses in multiple occupancy

We make sure that houses in multiple occupation, (properties where several unrelated individuals live together), have sufficient amenities, adequate fire protection and proper standards of management.

Some houses in multiple occupation require a licence. See House in multiple occupation (HMO) licence for more information. You can also view a list of currently licensed houses in multiple occupation.


We offer advice where you are affected by a nuisance originating from another property. We cannot advise on more general building construction issues.

Energy efficiency

We give advice about making your home warmer and more energy efficient.

Fire and gas advice

We check that landlords in the private sector comply with fire and gas safety legislation. This includes requiring landlords to carry out annual gas safety checks.