Repair and tenancy disputes

Deposit disputes

Your landlord must put your deposit in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme (TDP) if you rent your home on an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007. 

If you’re disputing the payment of your deposit with your landlord, then your deposit will be protected in the TDP scheme until the issue is sorted out.  You can use a tenancy deposit protection scheme's alternative dispute resolution (ADR) service to help you resolve a dispute.  There is no cost to you or your landlord and their decision is final.

If you don’t rent your home on an assured shorthold tenancy, your landlord can accept a deposit however it won’t be protected by a scheme.   You may find Shelter's letter templates useful when requesting the return of any deposit.  

You may be able to take court action if your landlord refuses to return all or part of your deposit. Court action should be a last resort. Visit the Shelter website for further guidance on court action.

Pages in Repair and tenancy disputes