Advice for private tenants

Financial assistance to pay the rent

You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income.

Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent and you can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working.

Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is used to work out Housing Benefit for tenants who rent privately. How much you get is usually based on:

Use the online Benefits calculator (GOV.UK) to find out if you are eligible for Housing Benefit.

Pages in Advice for private tenants