Insurance for council tenants

Buildings insurance

Tenants do not have any cover under our Buildings Insurance Policy

If there is damage to the structure of the buildings and/or fixtures and fittings, it will be our responsibility to repair the damage.

Damage to your decorations is not covered under the Buildings Insurance Policy. This can be claimed under your own contents insurance as "tenant's improvements".

Tenants are responsible for the cost of damages to glazing in the property.

Please refer to your Council Tenant's handbook.

If it can be proven that Wandsworth Council have been negligent in any way, your normal course of action will be to pursue a claim under the Council's Public Liability Insurance policy. There is no automatic right to compensation under the policy.

Contact your Estate Manager to find out how.

Contents insurance

Council tenants' contents are not covered under any policy with the council. You must arrange your own contents insurance.

Useful contacts

  • Your Estate Manager should be your first port of call for all information and advice
  • Wandsworth Emergency Control: 020 8871 7490