Food safety

Food complaints

When to complain to us

You should make a complaint to us for food that:

  • has actually caused food poisoning,
  • could not be reasonably eaten and appears hazardous to health,
  • contains a foreign object, such as a piece of metal,
  • is contaminated with chemical or improper additives,
  • has the wrong composition,
  • is labelled wrongly or with misleading claims; such as beef sold as lamb.

We can only take action if the food was purchased in the borough of Wandsworth and there is:

  • a public health risk
  • a good chain of evidence
  • evidence that the company concerned has not taken all reasonable to steps to prevent the problem

You must be willing to make a recorded statement about the incident. You should keep all available packaging and proof of purchase.

When to complain to the shop, manufacturer or supplier

You should make a complaint to the company that sold you the food without involving the council when:

  • the food is unsatisfactory and you simply want a refund. We are unable to seek a refund on your behalf.
  • the complaint is not of a serious nature, such as insects in fruit and vegetables.

Food business

When to complain to us

We can only take action if the food business is located in the borough of Wandsworth and when the premises:

  • pose a serious risk to health; such as evidence of mice, rats or cockroaches
  • are flooded with water or sewage
  • smell of gas
  • have staff or customers who are smoking inside
  • present a potential risk to public safety
  • or you believe that you have suffered food poisoning after eating at the premises.

How to complain

Make a complaint about food or a food business

What happens next?

We will contact you within 14 days and investigate in accordance with our enforcement policy.