Street trading licence

About street trading licences

Summary of requirements

If you trade in the street in the borough of Wandsworth you will require a street trading licence from Wandsworth Council.

You must provide specific information, including details of the street you wish to trade on and the days and times you wish to trade. You may also be required to provide two photographs of yourself.

You must comply with any conditions attached to a licence.  

Eligibility criteria

You must be over 17 years of age to hold a licence.

Licences will be refused if any of the following grounds exist:  

  • there isn't enough space in the street you wish to trade in, without causing interference or inconvenience to street users
  • you wish to trade for less days than any minimum required trading days  
  • you have previously failed to pay fees due under another street trading licence or have failed to use a previous street trading licence

Application evaluation process

Once you have decided when and where you wish to trade you need to complete the application form. You will then be invited to attend an interview where you will be asked to bring with you:

  • Two identical passport size photographs, clear copies of a up-to-date photo with your full face showing
  • Two proofs of ID with your name and address such as your passport or new-style photocard driving licence (we can't accept old-style paper licences), recent bills - no more than three months old such as gas, phone, water, electricity or council tax. Mobile phone bills are not accepted
  • Public liability insurance proof - minimum cover £5 million
  • National Insurance number proof - such as National Insurance card, Inland Revenue document, tax statement, benefits agency document, pay slip, P45 or P60
  • Samples of the product you want to sell

Under certain circumstances if certain grounds for refusal exist, the council may still award a licence but for fewer days than require, or to allow trade in certain items.

The council will either grant the application or serve a notice on you within a reasonable time.

The notice will be served if the council intend to refuse the application, grant it on different terms than those applied for, confine trading to a particular place in a street, vary conditions of a licence or revoke a licence.

The notice will detail the grounds for their decision and state that within seven days of the notice you can request in writing the opportunity to make representations.    

Tacit consent

Tacit consent will not apply. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can use the contact details below or contact GOV.UK.

If your application is refused

Contact Wandsworth Council in the first instance:

Street Markets Administrator
Wandsworth Council
Waste Management Service
Tadmore House
Frogmore Complex 
25 Frogmore
SW18 1EY

Telephone: 020 8871 6384

What if I am unhappy with a condition imposed?

Please contact Wandsworth Council at the address above in the first instance.

Further queries

If you have a query about a licence or permit issued by us, contact us (contact details above).

European services directive

If you think that we have not complied with the European services directive by imposing requirements or conditions in respect of your application that are discriminatory, unfair or disproportionate, please contact:

Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
1 Victoria Street
London SW1H 0ET  


Consumer complaints about a street trader

We always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Or you can contact trading standards:

Trading Standards
Environmental Services
Environment & Community Services Department
Wandsworth Council
PO Box 47095
London SW18 9AQ


Other complaints

If you want to make other types of complaints about a street trader, for example related to noise or health and safety, please contact:

Environmental Services
Environment & Community Services Department
Wandsworth Council
PO Box 47095
London SW18 9AQ


Health and safety

Before setting up any business in the UK, you must ensure that it will comply with the relevant health and safety regulations.

Pages in Street trading licence