Skip/materials permit

Apply for a skip, materials or compressor licence

About the licence

We may specify a condition relating to the position of highway skips. Generally the individual or company that places a skip will arrange for the licence.

All initial applications must be submitted a minimum of 5 clear working days before the licence is due to commence. The day of submission is not included in the notice period above. Please provide all the information required on the application form otherwise it may be returned if incomplete.

A copy of your up to date Public Liability Insurance Policy must be supplied with each application where applicable (it is a legal requirement to have Public Liability Insurance).


Applications to renew an existing licence may be made by phone, giving at least 3 clear working days notice prior to the expiry of the existing licence and the Tier 2 and Tier 3 charges will apply. 

If the current licence has expired then a new application will be required, however the higher tier rates will be charged if the time interval between licences is less than 35 days.

Site inspections may be required

If any damage to the highway is noted before placing items on the public highway the licensee must contact the Enforcement Officer on 020 8871 6711 to arrange a Site Inspection. For all other enquiries call the helpline number below.

The Council reserves the right to refuse applications where it deems the location unsuitable.

Cancellations or alteration request

Cancellation or alteration requests will incur an administration charge of £10.90 if licence cancelled by the applicant or their representative prior to the signs being erected and £16.10 after the signs have been erected.

The refund of the bay suspensions fees will be based upon the period from when the signs are removed from site once we have been advised of the cancellation and will be calculated from the first full day following the removal of the signage from site.

Red Route/Transport for London Road Network (TLRN)

Red Routes / TLRN, i.e. roads for which the Mayor of London is responsible (with the exception of Hoarding and Fencing Licences) please contact Transport for London (TFL) on 020 7536 3626.

Roll-on, roll-off storage containers and grab Lorries

Roll-on, roll-off storage containers are not allowed within Wandsworth for use on the public highway, as they do not meet the Builders Skip (Markings) Regulations 1984, they are bigger than the maximum measurements of a skip allowed on the public highway in Wandsworth.

The maximum permitted skip size is 12 cubic yards (9.2 cubic metres).

The use of a grab lorry is not permitted to empty the contents of a skip.

Laminated copies of licences

We no longer provide laminated copies of Highways Licences. This includes scaffolds, hoardings, containers, portable cabin/toilet, fencing and conveyor belt licences.

However, you (the licensee) should still display your own laminated copy at the works site.

More information

Contact our Highways Licencing Team:

Telephone: 020 8871 8871 (options 4 and then 3).

Pages in Skip/materials permit