Premises approval for marriage or civil ceremonies

Premises approval for marriage and civil ceremonies

To hold a wedding or civil partnership ceremony at premises in Wandsworth, they must be approved by us.

Eligibility criteria

You must be the proprietor or a trustee of the premises to apply for permission to hold civil ceremonies or weddings. 

The application must be in writing (including by electronic means) and include: 

  • the name and address of the applicant 
  • such other information as the local authority requires 
  • a plan of the premises which clearly identifies the room or rooms in which the proceedings will occur 


A fee of £600.00 will be payable.

Application evaluation process

Your premises will be inspected. Your application and plan will be made available to the public for inspection and public notice of the application put in a local newspaper as part of a public consultation process. 

To be granted, your application must be in the correct format and your premises deemed suitable. However, your application may still be refused if it is felt that there are too many approved premises in the area for the registrars to attend. 

Conditions may be imposed to your approval. 

The Registrar General may issue guidance to local authorities to assist us in making our decision.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period except in the case of a minor variation, where the application will be deemed refused if you have not heard from us within the legal period.

Contact us

You should contact us if:

  • your application is refused
  • you are unhappy with an imposed condition
  • you have a query about your registration
  • you object to an application for premises approval.  You may give us notice within 21 days of the notice of application appearing in the local newspaper 

You have the right to seek a review.  You should send your request for review to the Register Office.

Consumer complaint about a premise for marriages and civil partnerships

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, GOV.UK can give you advice if you are located in the UK. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other complaints

If you want to make another type of complaint about a premises licensed for marriages or civil partnerships, such as noise or pollution, you can report it online

Health and safety

Before setting up any business in the UK, you must ensure that it will comply with the relevant health and safety regulations. 

Further information on health and safety.