Caravan site licence

About the caravan site licence


To run a caravan site you need a licence from us.

Conditions may be attached to a licence to cover any of the following:

  • restricting when caravans can be on the site for human habitation or
  • restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time
  • controlling the types of caravans on the site
  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents
  • to ensure steps are taken enhance the land, including planting/replanting bushes and trees
  • fire safety and fire fighting controls
  • to ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained

Eligibility criteria 

The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site.
Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within 3 years of the current application.

Further information about caravan site licensing (GOV.UK). 

Application evaluation process 

Applications must be in writing, should detail the land that the application concerns and any other information required by us.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period.

Contact us 

You should contact us if:

  • your application is refused
  • you are unhappy with an imposed condition 
  • you have a query about your licence
Wandsworth Council
Environmental Services
Private Housing Team
Town Hall
Wandsworth High Street
SW18 2PU


If your application to alter a condition is refused or you wish to appeal against a condition attached to a licence, you may appeal to:

South Western Magistrates' Court
176a Lavender Hill
SW11 1JU

The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification. A notice of appeal must also be served on the Council. 

We may alter conditions at any time but must give licence holders the opportunity to make representations about the proposed changes. If a licence holder disagrees with the alterations they may appeal to the South Western Magistrates' Court at the above address. 

Consumer complaints about a caravan site

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other complaints 

If you want to make a complaint about a caravan site, such as noise or pollution, you can report it online.

European services directive

If you think that we have not complied with the European services directive by imposing requirements or conditions in respect of your application that are discriminatory, unfair, or disproportionate, contact the UK SOLVIT Centre.

Trade associations